Such is the name of the network that was born during Safer Seas, through the common will of the members of the Conference of Peripheral Port Cities and of their international partners. This initiative is based on three constatations :
– Oceans take an increasing part in global economy and are considered central in climate change issues.
– The worsening of the condition of marine environment, in particular in coastal areas, calls for an agreement of the maritime community over the development of good practices and adapted policies.
– This challenge will require the international community to cooperate in order to increase our knowledge of the oceans and develop new models of marine resources exploitation.
As a consequence, a first group of partners signed in Brest a Memorandum of Understanding where they declare their intention to join forces to create this network, design its governance and set up its work plan. Among the cities engaged in this network, one can find Vigo, Kiel, Québec, Comodoro Rivadavia, Veracruz, Qingdao, Shanghai, Haiphong, Constanza, Barcelona and of course, Brest. The first official assembly of this international network will gather in July, during the Tonnerres de Brest 2012 event.
- Russian vessels – stars of Brest (english.ruvr.ru)
- Tonnerres de Brest 2012 : From Mexico to Vanikoro (moroccotomorrow.org)